Friday, November 2, 2012

Twitter's great, but...

...it isn't private. Everything I write is still connected to my name, therefore still connected to the person that people think that I am. Not the person that I am, but the image that others hold of me. Unfortunately, people still look up to me for doing something in my past that I currently don't uphold.

This would all be fine and dandy, but let's face it. I think I'm fucking hilarious. And sometimes, I have funny things to say that are, consequently, about drinking. Which I had to be against in high school but I'm not now. But this means that people that see those comments connected with my name still think of me as a role model against those things. Also I think it's trashy to post about drugs and alcohol all the fucking time, because that makes it seem like that's all your life is. Which my life isn't. This weekend, all of my sorority's parties got cancelled, meaning that I could find other parties, but it's much more likely that I'll be snuggled up in bed or in my sorority house watching Say Yes To The Dress and eating chocolate.

However, instructing my drunk friend last night how to wake up get on the train to go to the airport this morning was too funny. I don't know if you've ever tried to explain scheduling to a drunk person, but they don't seem to understand the fact that there are specific times they need to be in specific places. Too good. Also, what if I wanted to inform the general public that chasing cheap vodka with Double Stuf Oreos isn't as good of an idea as it sounds? I can't do that, because people still think I don't drink.

I also can't tweet about everything that I'm doing wrong and crazy since college. I can't say, for instance, "Accidentally hooked up with the pledgemaster when I wanted the pledge. #TSM". That makes me look like a whore. But anonymous accounts can do it all they want. So jealous.

Moral of the story, I've changed. And that's okay, but people's images of me haven't. And that's frustrating- maintaining an image that is no longer true.

No comments:

Post a Comment