Monday, July 28, 2014

Eyes

For as long as I can remember, people have always complimented my eyes first. Always. From a very young age I learned that not only were my eyes my widow to the world, they were also the biggest thing on my face. My eyes are HUGE. The better to look upon the wonders of life, I guess.

Anyways, everyone commented on them. My parents' friends would do it, my friends wild do it, and most commonly, boys would do it. Many times it was my friends that did, but many times it was a stranger- and it was the second thing out of his mouth after his name. 
"Hi, I'm him" 
"nice to meet you" 
"can I just say that you have the most gorgeous eyes I've ever seen?"
All. The. Time. It's become something I take as a given, and if someone does compliment my eyes it's unappreciated

Recently, I met someone who drunkenly one night, told me that he loved my eye contact. Not my eyes, my eye contact. This was the first eye-related compliment that I had ever gotten that made me stop and appreciate it. He told me that when he was talking to me, he really felt like I was invested and interested in what he was saying. That my eye contact was amazing, and not commonplace. That single compliment made me feel heard, and not just seen. It was unique and very, very meaningful.

No comments:

Post a Comment