Tuesday, April 26, 2011

ACT? Please.

Tomorrow, many students in Illinois will be taking the ACT. If you're familiar with it, I'm sorry. If you aren't, stop reading and spare yourself. Okay, okay, it isn't that bad. There has to be some way to measure your intelligence/achievement on ONE scale, so that every college can see how you stack up in the nation. However, sitting in a room with my peers, taking one test for four hours hardly sounds like a good time. Also, there's way too much pressure on it. It's one day. One test. So maybe you choke. Now you're doomed to take it again to appease potential college choices, counselors, parents... The pressure to get "just one more point" is so high, it's stupid. I'm not saying ditch the whole operation all together, because I think it's necessary (although incredibly inconvenient and overrated). I, just like every other high school student, am just angsty. So students, if you're taking the ACT tomorrow, next month, next year, or ever, I wish you good luck. Treat it like a game, try to outsmart the system. It may not raise your score, but it does make you more confident and take some of the pressure and monotony out of the equation. On that note, I'd better brush up on my math....

No comments:

Post a Comment